New PS4 Details Revealed
Sony have revealed new PS4 details at a GDC panel.
1) The 64-bit x86 CPU provides low power consumption and heat.
The 8 cores each have a single hardware thread and separate 32kb L1 instruction and data caches with a shared 2mb L2 cache.
Multithreading support is made easier with hardware support for atomic operations.
The CPU will have an extended DirectX 11.1+ feature set that includes extra debugging support not available on the PC and will allow developers more direct access to the shader pipeline than on the PS3.
2) The Blu-Ray drive will be up to 3x faster than the one in the PS3
3) Every console will come with a "very large" hard drive
4) Every console will come with a headset
5) The PS4 will record everything by default, requiring no extra work by developers